The novel strain of Coronavirus has been a great threat to humanity that resulted in nations to implement lockdown and in countries like India with a soaring population and changing seasons, social distancing has proved effective if not efficient in slowing down the chain. While the weather changes as quickly as your unsuccessful attempts to find the perfect temperature for your AC, it is quite easy to fall sick.
By the end of this article, you will be fully informed about the Similarities and Differences between COVID-19 & Regular Flu, Coronavirus & Flu symptoms, Threats and Preventions from Coronavirus. Also here I will update you about quick and easy fitness exercises to do at home to keep yourself safe from COVID-19.
Similarities and Differences between COVID-19 and Regular Flu:
Roughly half a year ago, Coronavirus visited India and now after months of living apart in its torture, it is clear that it has overstayed its welcome. While India being a country that is famous for experiencing all the four seasons, it is not an uncommon fact that with changing seasons comes viral flu.
1. The biggest similarity is that both Coronavirus and regular flu are respiratory illnesses that are contagious i.e. easily transferred from one individual to another by coming in contact.
2. Both Coronavirus and flu can be transferred even before they show their symptoms.
3. A recent study by WHO has shown that regular flu shows its symptoms in children faster than adults and it is transferable from children to adults whereas COVID-19 is transferable from adults to children and is rather more visible in adults than children.
4. COVID-19 is caused by the SARS-COV-2 virus whose antidote seems to have been found by Russia but the credibility is still questionable. Regular Flu on the other hand is caused by Influenza A and B, whose cure is available.
5. While it is pretty clear that both flu and coronavirus are contagious, although the intensity through which they spread varies. Scientists from across the world have figured out that the R0 (read R-naught) which means the level of transmission, is different in flu and Coronavirus. The R0 of Flu is 1.3 and the R0 of coronavirus ranges from 2-2.5 making is highly contagious.
6. While India being a tropical country since the beginning of time, the flu has been with us for ages so quite naturally the treatments and antiviral drugs have been available. Whereas patients who have been mildly affected by COVID-19 are given Antipyretics and the ones with severe cases require ventilation for easier breathing.
Here’s How You can Check if you have been affected by Regular flu or COVID-19 by looking at their Symptoms.
Basic Symptoms of Coronavirus and Regular Flu:-
1. For Flu, the incubation period is 1-4 days and the symptoms are seen abruptly whereas Coronavirus takes 2-14 days to incubate and the symptoms are gradual.
Few symptoms which are common in both are:
2. The WHO has listed a few symptoms reported by COVID-19 patients which are different from regular flu such as:
* Severe body aches
* Muscle Pain
* Loss of taste and smell
* Chest congestion
Threats and Prevention from COVID-19:
Coronavirus can spread from person to person through tiny water droplets released from the affected person via sneezing and coughing. And these droplets can travel up to 6 ft, hence social distancing and masks are advised. The virus can stay on surfaces for up to 8 days or more, hence regular cleaning and sanitizing of places are advised. The symptoms of Flu are seen sooner than Covid-19 but Coronavirus can be transmitted even if there are no symptoms.
Several countries have been working day and night to find the vaccine to cure Coronavirus and recently Russia has claimed to have found the cure but the third phase trial that involves experimenting this vaccine on thousands of people is yet to come.
In the meantime, Several Measures can be taken to Prevent the Spread of Coronavirus:
* Washing hands and body regularly.
* Avoid touching the face.
* Keeping a distance of at least 6 ft from everyone.
* Using a mask every time you are going out or at home if you are sneezing or coughing.
* Self-isolating if feeling unwell.
* Avoiding social gatherings.
* Eating healthy, suggested Organic fruits and vegetables to ease the immunity boosters.
Quick and Easy Exercise to perform if you need to check its
Coronavirus or Regular Flu:
While a lot of people including me are scared of injections and blood, and clearly not a fan of sticks poking our noses, here’s is a quick self-assessment way to check if you have been affected by COVID-19:
DISCLAIMER: Getting Tested Is Still Suggested If You Feel Any Of The Symptoms. This Exercise Can Only Help You In Understanding If The Infection Has Spread To Your Throat Or Lungs. If you are facing any severe symptoms, immediately contact the Doctor.
Exercise to check if you have been affected by Covid-19: – Take a deep breath and hold it while counting the numbers starting from 1 to 10. A healthy lung will be able to recite the number in a maximum of 30 seconds.
Other Exercises and Yoga to Strengthen your Immunity are:
* Surya Namaskar
* Doing things you love to stop COVID-19 from taking a toll on your mental health.
If you have difficulty breathing, take steam twice a day. And to reduce the nasal congestion and prevent the virus from spreading to your throat & lungs, also gargling has proved effective in recovering the affected patients.